GNU `tar' creates and manipulates "archives" which are actually
collections of many other files; the program provides users with an
organized and systematic method for controlling a large amount of data.
The name "tar" originally came from the phrase "Tape ARchive", but
archives need not (and these days, typically do not) reside on tapes.
* Book Contents What this Book Contains
* Definitions Some Definitions
* What tar Does What `tar' Does
* Naming tar Archives How `tar' Archives are Named
* Authors GNU `tar' Authors
* Reports Reporting bugs or suggestions
automatically generated by