Comparing and Merging Files
This manual is for GNU Diffutils (version 2.8.1, 5 April 2002), and
documents the GNU `diff', `diff3', `sdiff', and `cmp' commands for
showing the differences between files and the GNU `patch' command for
using their output to update files.
Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2001, 2002 Free Software
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License,
Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software
Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts
being "A GNU Manual," and with the Back-Cover Texts as in (a)
below. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled
"GNU Free Documentation License."
(a) The FSF's Back-Cover Text is: "You have freedom to copy and
modify this GNU Manual, like GNU software. Copies published by
the Free Software Foundation raise funds for GNU development."
* Overview Preliminary information.
* Comparison What file comparison means.
* Output Formats Formats for two-way difference reports.
* Incomplete Lines Lines that lack trailing newlines.
* Comparing Directories Comparing files and directories.
* Adjusting Output Making `diff' output prettier.
* diff Performance Making `diff' smarter or faster.
* Comparing Three Files Formats for three-way difference reports.
* diff3 Merging Merging from a common ancestor.
* Interactive Merging Interactive merging with `sdiff'.
* Merging with patch Using `patch' to change old files into new ones.
* Making Patches Tips for making and using patch distributions.
* Invoking cmp Compare two files byte by byte.
* Invoking diff Compare two files line by line.
* Invoking diff3 Compare three files line by line.
* Invoking patch Apply a diff file to an original.
* Invoking sdiff Side-by-side merge of file differences.
* Standards conformance Conformance to the POSIX standard.
* Projects If you've found a bug or other shortcoming.
* Copying This Manual How to make copies of this manual.
* Index Index.
automatically generated by